About the Ocean Graduate Excellence Network
OGEN provides full-spectrum, hands-on graduate training experience designed to equip the next generation of ocean researchers for the global job market.
OGEN can help students embark on a Masters and/or PhD in ocean research through partner universities’ degree programs (Dalhousie University, Memorial University of Newfoundland, University of Prince Edward Island, University of New Brunswick, University of British Columbia, University of Victoria, and Université du Québec à Rimouski).
OGEN also provides access to transformational experiences and connections preparing students for 21st century careers. These include summer schools, workshops, entrepreneurship training, internships with industry and more. Logging these as microcredentials will help you to unlock novel career opportunities.
Students will network with like-minded thinkers in Canada and internationally.
OGEN supports collaborative training for a new generation of ocean researchers in the natural, social, and applied sciences, with strength across multiple disciplines. By creating a rich training environment and value-added experiences it raises the standard for best practices in research training and development of professional skills of new researchers.
OGEN thus amplifies the impact of the partner universities’ degree programs.
OGEN facilitates pairing of students with academic supervisors, and with industry and government leaders.
OGEN catalyses collaborative partnerships with industry, government, and other international ocean research institutions. It presents an opportunity to expand graduate training beyond the traditional academic setting, and fosters student excellence through exceptional research and co-curricular training. OGEN helps industry partners train the talent they need for their vision of the future.
Research Beyond Academia
- Research to support societal needs
- Training at sea and with industry and government partners
- Training in science communications and effective proposal writing
- Cross-university collaboration
- Industry and government internships
- Indigenous cultural awareness training
- Practical skills training
- Seminar series, workshops, and summer schools
- Multi-disciplinary opportunities
- Entrepreneurship training
- Lab, people, and budget management training
- Community of dynamic world-class researchers and universities
- Skill sets to apply knowledge to industry, government, NGOs, and academia
- Fully funded PhDs and additional support for Masters